Pages

The Barrie RoadRunners

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

5 Peaks Trail Running Series - Terra Cotta

Okay so August 7th was another exciting installment of the 5 Peaks Trail Running Series & I was going to be Cindy Marcelli for the run! I was some excited! It was a 12.4 k trail race & the most I had done was the 10k at Muskoka rocks the Sunday before.

I had my daughter Chelsea volunteer at the race as well so we could go together and share the day. It was slightly over cast - but it was going to be a brilliant day. As I followed Terry from Barrie down the highway then over hill and dale, through a wrong turn we finally ended up at the race 10 minutes before it was due to start. We got our bibs & chips with 6 minutes to spare. ACK! Under pressure.
Again Barrie was representing! I can't get over the amount of Barrie runners that seem to go to every race in the area & then further a field as well.
Rickymac, Trixiemac, Cynthia Osbourne, Chris Batagglia, Terry from Barrie, Sandra, Kelly H, Greg, Stephen, Kellie M & myself. Plus a few familiar faces from races gone by.

The race goes off in waves. I let the first wave go, then the second wave and I decided to go on the 3rd wave - just cuz. And off I went. Around the field, through the stone path and down towards the wooded trails. Man they weren't kidding when they said it was tough. There were more exposed roots then on a bleached blonde! Rocks, roots, rough patches ... it was abound with challenges. I kept telling myself it wasn't a race, it was a run. Just a Saturday morning trail run for fun, no need to get my knickers in a knot about "finishing" in a certain spot, finishing was enough. Though I would feel horrible if I made Cindy come in last or worse yet not at all. I so didn't want to DNF.

So I over took gingerly, shouted out " on your left " and moved by several runners, down a nice hill, across a gravel path & then heading towards the pavillion where you turn back on yourself for about 200 metres and then into the woods again. I had spied Tracy and hoped I could catch up to her. I did around the 4 k mark. She was right in front of me about 50 metres so I passed a few more folks to siddle up right behind her, we chatted for a while, but Tracy was suffering from her boat race nights. So I toddled on ahead & up up up the big hill, popped out of the woods around to field and over to the start / finish line to the left of the inflatable and on to the next loop. I grabbed a cup of water from my daughter that was manning the water station, her cheering me on was awesome! I really needed that. Off again toward the woods & to finish the race, I mean technically I was over half way by that point.
I was still feeling okay. I was pushing it slightly when I could. I was following a couple of runners but as hard as I tried to catch up to them, I just didn't have the legs for it. I rounded the 8 k mark and felt a bit of fatigue starting to settle on me. So I slowed my pace down - there was no need to get tired on a trail run and then fall over, down or on something. I am at best, an accident waiting to happen, so I took extreme caution here.
By the 10 k mark I was talking myself into a good finish, there was the big uphill, I could do that. But instead of walking it like I should have done, I ran it. I believe that's were I tore my calf muscle slightly again. *sighs*
I couldn't believe how silly I was! It's not a bad one, but I can feel it now just the same. As the last kilometre was looming ahead I kept telling myself that I didn't want fall over the finish line. So I'd better smarten up and get my poop on a scoop! I crossed with a time of 1:34. All things considering, not too bad. I didn't let Cindy down & she wasn't the last one across the finish line.
Woohoo!

One of our runners Greg McKinnon got a podium place in the sport race - 6K. Well done Greg! Congrats on the excellent showing!

Then TfB, Sandra, Kelly H, Chelsea & I headed out of town after the awards and door prizes for a nibble to eat. We ended up at a lovely little eating establishment called Cheeks in Bolton. That was a tastey treat! Especially when my daughter bought it for me. WOOHOO!!

Then some how I managed to miss the turning towards King City and ended having to get on the 400 from Finch Ave. Don't ask. I have NO idea.

And lastly just a shout out to 5 Peaks for their contribution towards the Runners Gift Basket we sold raffle tickets for. They provided us with a 5 peaks running series hat & steel water bottle as well as a Powerade reuseable bag. Thanks!!! We really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free counter and web stats