Pages

The Barrie RoadRunners

Monday, October 11, 2010

CIBC Run for the Cure Oct 3 2010

So this is the third year I've done the CIBC Run for the Cure in support of the CBCF with my work colleagues in Downtown Toronto.
This year they moved the venue from Nathan Phillips Square to the U of T campus. Not a bad spot really, however; being unfamiliar with the locale, our team didn't meet up ahead of time for a pre run/walk WHOOOAAAA BUNDY!

However; I headed from Barrie to Yorkdale Mall to catch the Red Rocket to Queen's Park. I know this well from going to Toronto General often for my check ups, but U of T - I was a little shaky on, however; as the sea of pink clad runners emerged from the underground, we were greeted by numerous University student Volunteers that took us to our run destination which started and finished at King's College Circle.
We ran along University, Bay, Bloor, Queen St W ... I ran right by the ROM and didn't even realize it. How could you miss that? I guess I was concentrating on not falling apart.

See I haven't run since the Midsummer Night's Run way back in August, mind you I have been using my eliptical and swimming heavy workouts to keep the cardio up and the legs in motion.

So as I lined up for the start, I kept thinking - okay your boss isn't here running with you, you have nothing to prove. RUN SMART - don't injure yourself.
The starters pistol went and off I trotted. I looked down at may Garmin - 1 km in 5:03 YIKES... that is SO not good! That's including running around folks, dodging slower participants (although they separated the walkers & runners) & as I got to 2k I checked again & my pace was a blistering 4:48 WHAAAAT? No NO NO NO!!!!!
By the time I hit 3 k my leg was protesting severely. This was NOT what I had decided to run after my daughter broke the news to me that she couldn't walk the run with me.
So the only way to stop running is to STOP RUNNING - so I did. I walked about a minute & let my calf muscle relax a bit.

I started off again and stayed at a steady 6 min / km pace & my calf was very pleased with that. So I maintained that with the strict vigilance of a Nun at a co-ed school. I also allowed myself to walk a number of times more to that end I finished in 29 minutes.


Once again the CBCF put together a wonderful post & pre race "expos". Our friends Revlon were there, once again, selling all sorts of glosses, mascaras, etc. at such bargain basement prices that Honest Ed would be proud. Purina Cat Chow was represented. CIBC had their tent there with all the CBCF merchandise on hand to purchase.
The food tent was totally OUT OF THIS WORLD. Probably the best food of any "small distance only" race I've been too.
Mind you the distance may be small but the size of the participants is not! Toronto has thousands upon thousands of participants. There were runners and walkers as far as the eye could see, in fact it was remincient of Sporting Life 10K. It was outstanding to be part of that.

And a huge big ENORMOUS thank you to all the kind and generous folks that sponsored me again this year! With out your support ... well... many tata's would be in jeopardy.

Thanks CBFC for hosting another spectacular event!

Thank YOU for giving your hard earned dollars to this worthy cause.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Joan and grateful you listened to your calves, even if a little late :).
    Stay inspired!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

 
Free counter and web stats