Pages

The Barrie RoadRunners

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Mud, Mud and Mud... oh and Lots of water.

It was a rainy day! To say the least it was, weather statements issued by Environment Canada, warned of torrential downpours high winds, and possible flooding. What better day to go out and run 52k on trails? So myself and Chris Battaglia met at 5 (ouch) and drove to pickering to take part in the Seaton Trail Races. There were 3 events, the 29k, 52k and 50 mile races, we were doing the 52k race. Once we got there we ran into Neil The Bastard Phillips and Deb Lancia, Neil wasn't running he was just there to support Deb who was doing the 52k as training for her 100 mile race at Sulphur Springs in May. The 52k and 50 mile race both started at 7:08 and we off into the rain and windthe first leg out wasn't too bad as we were the first ont he trails although there were a few spots that were already under water and getting muddy. The river crossing was at 2.5k in and we would cross that 4 times on the out and back course, it knee deep was cooollllddddd, but it doesn't hit you until you get out of the water that s when you realise your legs are numb from the knees down. Not long after you have forgotten about the numbness as you hit the first climb, on a dry day its tough and today was far from dry. The course had a few suttle changes, one was to bypass a really nasty climb up a hill on your hands and knees section, thankful for that. Another change became apparent after passing the turnarounds from previous years! Where the hell are they taking us? At 15k we turned around! Well, by my simple calculations that would add up to 60k, unless they have somemore surprises for us.
On the trail back it was becoming apparent that the trails were getting steadily worse with the amount of traffic on them and the increase in rain fall.
When I got back to the start finish area i checked ny watch and couldn't believe it was already at 3:22, at this rate it would be an 8 hour finish!!! I changed my sopping wet gloves and put some dry ones on my now frozen fingers, put on an extra jacket and plodded on back out there. I passed Chris after crossing the river and he wasn't doing well, I wondered whether he would start the second lap. Many others questioned their ability on this day too. A lot of walking and soul searching went on over the next few k, I got to 34k and wondered if it was possible to run another 10k just to get to the turnaround. I got to about 40k and though I will just go to the next aid station and turn there and quit. As it turned out, another change was that this was the final turnaround. Yahoo! I was starving at this point and devoured 2 P&B sandwiches (and I hate Peanut butter) soem salted potato and grabbed a couple of chocolate chip cookies for the road. I felt much better nw, knowing that I didn't have as far to go (only 12k!!!). With belly with some nutrition in it now off I went. I couldn't believe how well I was feeling, stiff and sore but moving forward.
With about 7k to go things began to unravel again and walking was more and more the the only option, the odd run thrown in to make my mind feel better.
I finished in 6:47, an hour and a half slower than my last attempt here. Chris as suspected, didn't finish. Which says a lot knowing what Chris is like. We had heard that at least 20 did not finish the 52k, which was actually 54.5k. I only saw one more runner going out to complete the third loop of the 50 mile race. Many had completed only 2 loops and settled with that. The weather and the course had taken its toll today. Its a tough race on the best of days, today was brutal. I was happy to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free counter and web stats