Pages

The Barrie RoadRunners

Monday, April 19, 2010

Seaton Trail 52k

Well it was not a repeat of 2 years ago when, two RoadRunners came first and third, but it was still a successful day in Pickering for the 6th Annual Seaton Trail Races. 3 Barrie RoadRunnerstook to the trail this day, Chris Battaglia was about to lose his Ultra virginity, while ultra "veterans" Kevin O'Neil and myself (Keith Lascelles) were toeing the line for another one of many. The drive down was rather ominous as it was snowing. I think we've been spoilt by mother nature lately, but thinking back to 2 years ago it was a warm day compared to the +2C it was Saturday morning with the intermittent snow fluries.
We lined up at the start line with the other hardy folks doing the 52k and 26k races, the 78k race had started an hour earlier. The course is an out an back 26k, so you do the math. For me it was supposed to be a training run for my 100 miler in July, but as much as I tried to keep it slow I still went out too fast. Kevin complaining about me going out too fast as he passes me. The race is advertised as a trail runners dream, especially if you like hills and dirt. There is only a short paved section between trails. The river crossing was "refreshing", actually it didn't feel to bad until you got out, then your feet went numb. By the 4th time through the water it was not any better, or worse. Just before I got to the turn around for the first time I felt my left calf seize up on me, no warning signs, just bang. Initially I thought my race was over, but I walked on it for a bit, took some salt caps and an advil and walked some more, eventually trying to run again, which while painful at first wasn't too bad as long as I didn't push it. So this is how the run went for the next 40+k. Kevin stuck with me until he found out that I wasn't going to quit at halfway, to his dissapointment, this meant he would have to continue on too and not sit back and drink Guinness. Well maybe he should thank me, because although we were 8th and 9th at the halfway point Kevin passed a number of runners in the second hakf to finish 3rd overall in 5:28 and first male over 45. Myself, I finished 10th in 5:57 and second male over 45. Chris should be applauded for finishing his first Ultra in 7:10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free counter and web stats