Pages

The Barrie RoadRunners

Monday, May 24, 2010

The Hazel 5k - 'Nuff Said


Chelsea has been bugging and bugging me since the Frosty 5k in March for her next race. "When can we go Mum? When is there another 5K that I can do?"

With little coersion I talked her into the Hazel 5k on May 15th. And low and behold they had ... yep you guessed it. B-L-I-N-G.


So Saturday afternoon we headed toward the Cawartha Community Centre. Which I happen to know you have to exit on to Cawartha Road - I know that I can get lost in a phone booth, but I've been driving the 400/401/427/QEW for the last uhmmm 26 yrs. So yeah I know that an address like 1399 Cawartha Road would need for me to exit on to Cawartha Road from the QEW Hamilton. Well not according to my GPS... stupid machine. Anyway - after turning around several times ( yah Chelsea just checking to make sure we aren't being followed... looks like the coast is clear) and getting back on the QEW and exiting on the Cawartha Road we found the longest line queue of cars I had seen for a while & figured we hit the right spot. ( Stupid GPS)


We created a parking spot erhmm FOUND a parking spot and headed to the centre to hop on a bus to the start line at the Lakefront Promenade Park. First though a quick stop inside the centre; Chelsea was none to keen on the port-o-potties after some of the horror stories she's heard me tell.

Nice facility.


We all lined up at the start - unusual I know... Hazel McCallion was there to greet all the runners & walkers - give us a little pep talk and blow the horn for the start. She was even at the finish line at the Port Credit Memorial Park, congratulating everyone as the crossed the finish line. That Dame is a tough old bird. Not as tough as her minder... but tough none the less.


We started with a really good pace, it was brisk and with purpose. Though on the way to the event Chelsea said she wasn't sure she'd get a PB because she hasn't been putting the training in like she should. WOW - finally I think she's getting the connection. I was bursting with pride. She's putting the pieces together. She just might get it after all TRAINING IS IMPORTANT!! I know I was gob smacked. You could have knocked me over with a feather.


Then as we were rounding a corner she said something that TOTALLY knocked me for six. " Mum I want to run" An audiable gasp could be heard escaping my lips. " Did you say run?" " Yah, I want to run"
AAAAAAALLLLLRIGHTY then. So we ran from one park bench to the next. Then walked. Then the next set. Then between lamp posts. She burned herself out a little but - but that's okay. It's all a learning experience and she's been bitten by the running bug. WOOT WOOT. I had hoped that she would PB - but alas it wasn't to be.
Chelsea did however finish RUNNING across the finish line at 47:11 and getting her first REAL 5K medal.


It is good to know that even through these turbulent teen years we can still bond over bling. *sighs* It does a mother's heart good.


I'm proud of my little girlie!
And if any of the folks that read this blog know of any 5K events that have bling - in the GTA, Golden Horseshoe or Simcoe area - drop me a comment. Chelsea is ready for her next challenge.


Way to go!!


B


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Free counter and web stats